Saturday, August 1, 2009

Monsters of Folk

Monsters of Folk is a fitting name for - Conor Oberst, M. Ward, Mike Mogus and Jim James. I find this group of people to be so funny for a plethora of reasons. Firstly, it's been a while in the making. Apparently, they played a gig four years ago and are finally following it up now. I suppose in this interconnected web of the Nebraskan artists it really isn't too hard to find mend their way together.

I can confidently say that this is the Travelling Wilburys or the Highwaymen of the twenty first century. Bob Boilen, NPR indie-king said that this album wasn't that folk. I disagree from the first three teaser tracks i've had the pleasure of listening to. They sort of sound like what the love-child of M. Ward and Oberst would sound like.

I'm really excited to hear the Mogus bits of this album, because I know him more as a producer than a performer. But he's touched almost all of my favourite Saddle Creek Releases in some way, so he must be a beautiful musician.

I dropped a good mint on my ticket for this gig, but i'm prepared to be blown away. I hope my hopes aren't too, too high.

No comments:

Post a Comment