Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spoon and Deerhunter at the Sound Academy; Monday March 29, 2010

The last time I saw Deerhunter, it was at Lee's Palace just after their release of their finest album to date - Microcastles. The show was perfect, minus the noisy, messy openers Times New Viking.

This time 'round I walked in on their opening set a couple of songs in and it was half past nine. I walked into the venue to the song "The High Road" by
Broken Bells, an amazing song that sounds like a grown up version of the Shins. Really, it's James Mercer of the Shins and the producer extraordinaire Danger Mouse. I like this project, it seems like it's marking the death of the Shins, which I might almost be OK with. I really enjoyed their last release Wincing the Night Away but I think it's time for Mercer to "wow" me with something different.

I entered the venue and I was convinced tha
t it wasn't actually Deerhunter, because it was noise and I couldn't see their lanky frontman - Bradford Cox. But they began to play "Never Stops" and I knew it was them. I hate this venue for so many obvious reasons, firstly I couldn't see a damn thing, I didn't even know Deerhunter was playing. How could I possibly miss the impressivly distinct Cox. Cox almost seemed cool wearing sunnies inside. I completely understood why because there was an unnecessary light show going on. I thought their set was a pretty good length and in good time too. I was really concerned I had missed "Cover Me (Slowly)" and "Agoraphobia", two of my favourite bits off of Microcastle. If you're smart and listening to the link of "Cover Me..." and "Agora..." you can understand what a knob Bradford Cox is. Some people find him funny, I just find him crude and over the top. I however adore that song and that intro musically. At the show in Toronto he let out that ridiculous scream and it completely threw me off. I didn't know what he was going to play, but after the first chord I was back on track again. I also knew that I would hear "Agoraphobia" immediately after which put me at great ease. I was a little worried that I missed it because it's such a stellar opener, as you can see from the Copenhagen gig I linked you to. If there are two songs off of Microcastles that will convince you to like Deerhunter, it's those two.

Spoon were everything I thought they'd be - flawless and charming. The show itself felt sold out. That marks my second big
reason why I hate the Docks. Any show I could possibly want to see there is likely to be sold out. The layout of the venue is long, similar to the Phoenix, except three times the size in length and a couple times the size in width. So seeing any show there is very difficult to enjoy. Spoon frontman even pointed out how "long" the venue was.

I didn't do much homework before seeing Spoon. They'd always been at the back of my mind as a very well put together and established band
. I got my hands on Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga as it came out and fell in love. My very good friend Ted, who I went to the gig with also indirectly pushed me listen to Spoon more with his HUGE love for the band. Going to the show with him was a complete pleasure, I really admire that love for one band. I have given Transference a few listens but listening to it after a flawless studio perfected album like Ga Ga... was difficult. The album is significantly more raw that their previous release.

I was surprised they played "Don't Make Me A Target" in the middle of their set and "That's the Way We Get By" second in their set.
I was really surpriseed to hear "The Ghost of You Lingers" live. They jumped back on stage for a four song closer - of them two were drawn off of Ga Ga Ga Ga - "Got Yer Cherry Bomb" and "The Underdog". It's absolutely amazing that Spoon is a four piece ensemble, Brit Daniel is incredible on the guitar and vocals - together.

I wonder about the Nada Surf show. Would've love to have seen them too!

It was really difficult to find a normal image of Bradford Cox, but I did!:



I wonder about the Nada Surf show. Would've love to have seen them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment