Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Christian music, Switchfoot

My gateway into Christian music was sparked by two movies that I have seen. First 'A Walk to Remember' on a very serious note and 'Saved' in a humourous way.

I didn't actually find any bands in 'Saved' because a good chunk of the songs in the film were not actually Christian motivated bands. For instance, the song that rolls with the credits is the brilliant "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys.

'A Walk to Remember' took a really great approach. It was my foundation for the band Switchfoot. Switchfoot is a band that I will admit to people that I like them, but I'm super hesitant to actually admit that I like them. I usually buttress my response with a quick - "Oh, I only like their older stuff." But since grade nine or ten when I first laid my ears on Switchfoot through the classic Mandy Moore film, I have steadily listened to older Switchfoot tunes. 'New Way to Be Human' is an incredibly well put-together album. It's one of those albums that you can listen to and find yourself amazed that it was released over ten years ago! Originally released in 1999, I would say it received minimal success being overshadowed by Britney Spears' hit album '...Baby One More Time' and Eminem's 'The Slim Shady LP.'



This version kills Mandy Moore's movie version. For the curious listener, it's really interesting that in the film and in Moore's version they changed the words in the bridge from "I give you my apathy," to "I'm giving all of me."



Some other Christian bands I unintentionally dipped into is Copeland and Mae.

So what i've come down to is that music is music. I like it based on the sound and listenability.

1 comment:

  1. We agree that music is music. However, we have found that the type of music we listen to can have an effect on your mood and approach to things. We tested ourselves a while ago and only listened to Christian Music for a week. Then, in week two all we listened to was secular. We saw a difference in our attitudes, etc. In fact, it was that test that started us on a path to develop a website, which now is online at www.ChristianMusicAndBooksOnline.com

    ReplyDelete