Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Zombies at the Mod Club; Wednesday July 15, 2009

The Zombies at the Mod Club; Wednesday July 15, 2009

So when I tell people who the Zombies are I tell them that they did that song that goes "It's the time of the season..." in my lousy voice stretched far to high then it was ever intended to reach. People normally respond with a big "oooh right".

Well, tonight I felt like I was in a crowd of a really packed Mod Club that really appreciated this band. The first time I saw the Zombies it was at the Molson Ampetheatre. Seeing them at that gig meant two things for certain - short set and lousy seats.

They played everything I could want to hear with the exception of "The Way I Feel Inside". Which I didn't expect. Maybe if I walked into the bathroom Colin Blunstone might have been humming or singing that while he was taking a number one. I was shocked that they played the minimal "Rose for Emily".

This show revealed one thing, that they are very proud of how far they've come and are not ashamed to articulate just how far that is. Keyboardist Rod Argent introduced their 1967 album 'The Odessey and the Oracle' as the "slowest burning album ever". He dropped big names like Dave Grohl and Fleet Foxes who claimed that that album really made a difference in their music careers.

Before Argent played my favourite tune "Care of Cell 44" he said Dave Grohl said it was his favourite song ever.

I was very floored by Blunstone's soft, sweet vocals. He has a bit more edge than he did before but he still has a fantastic voice, together and well. I really enjoyed his stage presence. I thought it must be so hard to look busy while only keeping together vocals. But not a chance. He had a silly amount of energy and really great dance moves.

They played two or three Argent songs, of Rod Argent's solo stint. They also played a couple of new Zombies tunes, being ever so cautious not to play to much to lose the crowd.

I was amazed that they played "Time of the Season" in the middle of the set.

Wonderful band, the bassist of the Kinks played in their band as well as a really fantastic guitarist and drummer. I kept forgetting that this was a very, very high profile band because they were older and playing the Mod Club.

I was shocked by the age of the crowd. I mean given, there were a whole slew of older folk but there were also a great deal of twenty-somethings. I had my bets on the forty five plus club tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment