Friday, November 12, 2010

Jason Collett at the Church of the Redeemer; Thursday November 11, 2010

Well, it's Rememberence Day. I'm never completely sure what I am to remember. I suppose I'm grateful for being able to live free and as I do. Jason Collett and many others shed light on the fact that we have newer veterans to consider now - the trickling news of Afghanistan victims. Collett mentioned he didn't understand how we were able to fight when we are not set to accept the consequences of losing loved ones. Seems as though little has changed in the last fifty years (Vietnam).

Collett played a beautiful honest set. I felt as though he was talking to me personally the entire time. He talked a lot, a luxury he can't really afford when he has Zeus mirroring his every move. It was really beautiful to hear him play a real, true Collett show. Seeing a show in a church is always a bonus too, i've never seen a bad show in a church before. The Church of the Redeemer has to be the most beautiful church i've been in, in Toronto. The high ceilings give the illusion that its significantly larger than it really is. The space is pretty small and there is only one long, narrow space for concert goers to sit. Plenty of room beyond the pews. In comparison to the legendary Trinity St. Paul's church, this one has more potential space wise - Trinity is jammed so full, you can't squeeze your way in any further.

Collett played a beautiful mash up of songs old and new. I was so happy to hear his Pony Tricks renditions live - they really brought new life to his older tunes. I blamed Stars three or four years ago for releasing Do You Trust Your Friends? I called it a filler album that was just released for the sake of putting material out. I cant really extend the same sentiments to Pony Tricks because he just released Ratatat earlier this year. Collett is not shy to continue playing older material which I love.

Collett shared some pretty brilliant stories that reveal more than I have ever heard him drop. He played the tune Almost Summer at the beginning of the set and he explained the entire story as if we were sharing an intimate heart to heart moment. I loved every bit.

He explained bits of his past life as a carpenter.

And my favourite, he talked about meeting famous women - Karen O in a swimming pool. Sharon Jones over an American joint and learning that Celine Dion has legs like no other woman.

Jason Collett was far more entertaining and charming than Al Tuck. Al Tuck has a super sense of simplicity and ease, it is just such a shame that his songs do not have the charisma that Colletts tunes have. I do like Al Tuck, its just he was playing way out of his league.

Collett, as usual blew my mind and won my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment