Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sondre Lerche at the Mod Club; Tuesday May 31, 2011

This is my fourth time seeing Norwegian Sondre Lerche. With each show he has a new album to promote, it's very tiring for me to be on top of all these albums, I can't even imagine what it's like for him. Lerche has been in this industry for ten years and he's only twenty eight! It's pretty remarkable to see what this guy has done.

His new self-titled album is dreamy and love-filled as most of his albums are. This album especially hints on anticipation, excitement through the sweet sounds of slower tunes. It's also his first release on his very own record label, Mona Records, after his actor/model wife Mona Fastvold.

I'm very excited to report that last night's show was a full-band set up. I got to the show missing the two opening acts who I later learned are also his back up band. I used to get to shows so early to catch every live minute, now I've just sort of flopped of the radar when it comes to live gigs, skipping any opening acts i'm not familiar with. I sometimes do my homework, I somtimes don't. These guys seemed to pack mega talent, so during the show I felt a little sad I didn't work a little harder to catch the acts before Lerche.

His band was a little different than past bands, they were definitely set up to play the slower tunes off of his new album. Furthermore, they were all American, also kind of interesting. Seems as though Sondre relocated to Brooklyn, New York... Who wouldn't?

He played a ton of new songs but a good balance between the two. This guy probably has such a hard time picking out sets because he has a slew of albums to choose from. He played "Two Way Monologue" in the first bit of his set with a very lazy introduction of "I'm gonna get this one out of the way." I suspect he's grown a little tired of playing this number. It sounded fantastic though, it wasn't lazy, but full of energy. It was also the first of the old songs he dipped into.

I was happy to hear a little off of each one of his albums...

His shows have grown a little predictable but no less exciting. I find myself completely lost in his presence and pretty looks.



As always there was that first funny turned annoying dip that talks far too loud at Sondre's Toronto gigs...



No comments:

Post a Comment