Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Elliott Smith Pt.1

I don't think too much about Elliott Smith, but I sure do listen to his music a lot. I think my lack of thought for the man is because I got into him a year or so after his death. When listening to his material - I know he's not around, I know he's not touring ... So I just enjoy it for what it is, really great music.

This very second I am listening to "Whatever (Folk Song In C)". It was released on his collection of b-sides titled New Moon. I feel like I bought this album forever ago. I think it was released in 2006, after From a Basement on a Hill.

From a Basement was the first Elliott Smith album I listened to. It was on a listening post at my old work - he had a little tab describing who he was and why this album was worth buying. It's sort of ironic that such a wallflower like Elliott Smith would appear on a rave listening rack. I'm not sure if it helped him in sales at all, but he definitely got me.

This album is absolutely flawless, it's lush like Figure 8 before it, but it's minimal when it needs to be. It takes a step further from the Beatles sound that he mastered before and moved into something out of his niche. He touches on weird sounds and builds up in the tune "King's Crossing" but still maintains clever piano noodles in "A Distorted Reality is Now a Necessity to Be Free".

This isn't enough to say about this album, be prepared for another blurb about it soon. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment