Sunday, April 18, 2010

The Tallest Man on Earth with Nurses at the El Mocambo; Saturday April 18, 2010.

I stumbled in on the second last song of Nurses. They were full of energy and were having fun with what they were doing. It was super difficult to see what was going on because the place was packed. I gathered from their myspace page that they are a quirky three piece from Portland, Oregon. I'd be interested in seeing them again.

Kristian Matsson took the stage around eleven. I had a really crummy view standing about ten rows back, but I didn't really care to see. I felt I was too close, because Matsson's voice amplified is almost too much. He's the type of artist that i'd like to see unplugged. I have never heard a voice like his before that comes effortlessly. It however sounds nothing like his speaking voice. By the end of the show he started to chit chat with the audience and I couldn't hear what he was saying at hte back of the venue. I however had no problem hearing his very well-projected voice in song.

Matsson plays with only an acoustic guitar. It was something to see because he really lights up a room with his music. I can't help but think of the different tone he let off compared to Rocky Votolato at the Drake. Matsson is a tremendously strong lyricist, Votolato slips into the typical, I love you, I miss you, don't leave framework. Votolato is simple, where as Matsson challenges things both musically and lyrically. Matsson traverses the stage while Votolato stands frozen still in the middle of the stage.

Matsson would often finish a song pacing from one side of the stage to another, which really threw me off because he did none of that at his NPR's Tiny Desk Show. However, much like his tiny desk show he played his three best songs clunked together. Starting with "I Won't Be Found," followed by "The Gardener" and two songs later "Pistol Dreams." The guitar intro for "Pistol Dreams" is absolutely lovely, he plays it well in the NPR video, you'll feel like you were there with me. It has a bluesy sound to it.

I was amazed by how many people knew of Matsson and were familiar with the words. Matsson often pulled away from the mic and let the audience fill in his words.



1 comment: