Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Black Keys with the Morning Benders at the Kool Haus; Tuesday August 3, 2010

The Morning Benders were everything I'd thought they'd be live.

This video alone made me like this band. To be honest, I didn't stick to their album recorded... But for me, this song saved it for me.

"Excuses" is the band's "hit". It's their biggest song, so naturally it was the one they closed their set off with. I was very pleased with the large sound they got out of only four members. The sound in this video is full - the band consisted of around twenty active participants. It's really a shame that the crowd didn't receive this band well. I think with the right crowd this band or rather this song alone could light up a room.

The lead singer very nicely asked the crowd to join in if they know the words and even if they don't as the only words they need to know are "la da da da da da da". There wasn't a really big response to this. The song kind of came off sounding a bit cheesy as it's a bunch slower than any of the music played that night. I really liked their live recreation, I was feeling a bit wry of how they'd pull it off. But they did so with looping, a keyboard created string section and vocal contributions from the other guys in the band. They definitely pulled it off.

Also - this band's from Berkeley, CA one of the loveliest places I've ever been to! It's purely a university town.

I definitely got the chills listening to this song, the only time I did the entire show. I think it was just far too sticky throughout the Black Keys' set.



Yours Truly Session, The Morning Benders' "Excuses":



The Morning Benders are having an in-store performance at the Big Chill on College. I'm eager to go to this show just to hear "Excuses" with a crowd that actually wants to hear it. I think this song has the potential to be really explosive.

I was absolutely blown away by the Black Keys' performance. Seeing Dan Auerbach perform last year was a big indicator of how amazing the Black Keys are live. Seeing Auerbach with the Black Keys felt very different, the whole atmosphere and energy of the event had a different feel altogether.

First off, this venue was packed to brim. I didn't really enjoy the sticky feeling of a sold out show. I could breathe at this venue but the air was so thick and everyone was incredibly sticky. I realise that this is a rock show and that it was completely sold out, but it's all a lot.

Secondly, The Black Keys have a different sound from Dan Auerbach's solo project. Their sound for the most part is edgier and more rock based. Auerbach's solo project is very relaxed, it chips back to some of his folkier roots. Beyond this point, the Black Keys drew mostly from their harder rocking tunes. I was really disappointed to hear only three tracks off of 'Attack and Release'. They played a good chunk of 'Rubber Factory' and their new album 'Brothers'.

The show felt really honest. I didn't for a second feel as though they played the same act before, although obviously, they did and even more obviously, they will for their second show tonight. They came out on stage as just the Black Keys - Patrick Carney on drums and Dan Auerbach on guitar and vocals. I was absolutely floored by Auerbach's capabilities. He manages to uphold his incredible vocals while playing the guitar. I like how his guitar bits often reflect what he sings, melody wise. It's mind blowing to think all of that sound comes from one guy.

There was some serious chemistry between Auerbach and Carney. There were moments when the guitar and drums would match up and it just felt really well orchestrated.

I really liked their live version of "I've Got Mine":



Their set was neatly divided they only played new stuff in the second half of their set with a full band. The first half was dedicated to material they played as a duo. I'm glad they kept it this way for the spectacle aspect alone.

Their version of "Everlasting Light" was sung perfectly. My friend turned to me and said: "I always thought they had a girl sing this for them..." I knew they didn't but I totally understood where she was coming from. Auerbach's voice on this song was perfect. I felt it was played a little bit slower than on the record, but his voice was as a strong as ever. The high high falsetto is a real different sound for the band, but it really worked on album and in the live show.



I like the different energy the new stuff has from the old. It's definitely more creative as far as sounds go - from whistling to a really great cover. I was really surprised to only hear them play material off of the first half of the album. I was really excited to hear the last four or five songs - especially the Jerry Butler cover of "Never Gonna Give You Up".





They closed shop up with a modest encore - Dan told the crowd: "Thanks! You guys are so nice, we should really come here again." He unlike the Morning Benders made no reference to the second gig today. The last song they played was the album closer off of 'Rubber Factory' - "Till I Get My Way" and I was wholly content with this decision.



I however don't think I could see this band again for two nights. It was a lot of effort to see a sweaty, packed show like this.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I like Excuses more than their past recorded material with the exception of Promises. Chris Chu does have a great voice - so resonant and pretty. Wish I coulda caught them live when they were passing through. :p

    ReplyDelete