Friday, August 27, 2010

Jason Collett at the Magpie; Thursday August 26, 2010

I have to say that today, I was completely inspired by music. For the longest time I was mulling whether I should purchase the Arcade Fire's new album 'The Suburbs.' Today I crumbled and bought it. The album came with eight different covers, this being the one I purchased:



I listened to it once through and felt completely wonderful doing so. I am thoroughly impressed with the packaging and appearance of the album itself. The back cover looks like the opening credits of an old film:



I saw the Scott Pilgrim movie, which felt like an homage to all things Canadian - with a series of American actors. I was pretty let down by the film, as I had some serious high hopes about it. I was pleased to hear quality work from Beck and Broken Social Scene. Oddly enough, Mark Webber who played Stephen Stills, the one with the 'talent' has always reminded me of Kevin Drew of Broken Social Scene. I love when my worlds collide.

Although the movie didn't completely wow me, I felt as though there were a few bits that really rubbed me the right way. First, the film's use of the song "Ramona" that Beck wrote and performed, with Michael Cera's bit in the film. It served as a solid reoccurring tune in the film. Secondly, I adored the drowned out version of the tune "Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl." It was muffed out quite a bit so only certain bits of the song came out and it was very obviously used to follow a love filled bit in the film. Big shocker.

After all this, I went to the Magpie for a show my friend told me about. I had no idea what to expect except that it was a concert worth seeing. I made it out so last minute I really didn't care who I was going to see. I coasted by the venue very sheepishly to read a sign that read 'Jay Collett' in big, bold letters. I didn't think much about, just the fact that someone was playing and I had missed most of the show. Not even two minutes of walking away, I realised 'Jay Collett' was actually Jason Collett. I anxiously ran my bike to the nearest rack and jumped at the opportunity to see one of my favourite performer's live. The Magpie was pretty empty, I had the feeling that no one knew about his appearance at this show. He played one his own the entire time showcasing a bunch of tunes I wasn't too familiar with. Most memorable being a blunt but delicate version of "High Summer." I would've never guessed he'd play it. The only other song I recognised from the batch of songs he played was a tune off of 'Motor Motel Love Songs.' Despite my lack of familiarity to his tunes, I really didn't mind. Seeing Collett is like listening to a story teller, his words are descriptive and heartfelt - so it's really easy to dip into things that you've never heard before. He was comfortable and cool.



My favourite moment was at the very last song, Zeus' Mike O'Brien slipped on stage and joined Collett with a bit of drumming. Collett immediately stepped up his game by projecting louder to compensate for the drums. It was a really good, spontaneous moment that shows that their gigs are ever evolving. It's also very much a group effort, not just one sole player. Real musicians. Real inspiring.

Now, the band that I was most surprised by was ... I can't remember the god damn band's name. I guess the tender hours of the evening are catching up to me. Yikes. Will write a short note on this band, they're pretty good for something slapped together rather quickly.

Great night, great music, good company. What more could a girl ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment