Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Rich Terfry, Radio 2 Drive: Canned Heat "Going Up The Country"

My favourite radio program is done by Rich Terfry, also known as Buck 65. I have to say, I don't really like his music, but he is really incredibly knowledgeable when it comes to music.

He started a fragment called 'Rearview Mirror,' where he features an artist from the past (although much of his on air radio play isn't all that new). His go today he featured a tune by Canned Heat, who I learned drew their name from Tommy Johnson's album Canned Heat Blues (1928). He died in 1956, around ten years before Canned Heat made it big.

What I didn't know was they crafted the song that served as Woodstock's theme. That tune is called "Going Up The Country" - a very light understated song. It was heavily used in the Woodstock film which I could talk to you about until your ears'd fall off.

No comments:

Post a Comment