Friday, November 27, 2009

Camera Obscura at the Phoenix; Thursday November 26, 2009

Camera Obscura released one of my favourite albums this year. My Maudlin Career is easily the prettiest, polished pop album of the year - and they've been touring the shit out of it. Already this year Camera Obscura has been to Toronto twice! I had the pleasure of seeing them at the Lee's Palace earlier this year with my very best friend.

I really liked them this time. I felt like I knew what I was expecting, the songs I really wanted to hear, lack of stage presence. I wasn't let down this time by any means. Lead singer Tracy Anne Campbell didn't move around like I expected before. I really loved their song choice this gig - playing everything I wanted to hear! With the exception of their Christmas song "Blizzard". It's actually a late '60s cover of a Jim Reeves tune. I don't know it very well, but I don't think the last song they played was it. I really like it though. I think I have to make a Christmas compilation with it on it.

The majority of their set was drawn from the latest album. They did however take the time to play "Tears for Affairs", "Hey Lloyd, I'm Ready to be Heartbroken" which a response to this song - "Are You Ready to be Heartbroken?" by Lloyd Cole. My newest favourite tune - "Let's Get Out of this Country"- A song I feel I can really relate to at this point in my life!

They even played one or two tunes from their oldest album titled Biggest Blues Hi-Fi. Tracey Anne followed it up saying that she's not even sure if they are available on CD anymore! They are however, very ready for download.

I was really happy they played "The Sweetest Thing" at this show. I was shocked they didn't play it last time! The biggest surprise for me was their three song encore, starting with "Let's Get Out of this Country" and followed by "Forests and Sands". Tracy Anne said just before they began that they have to play this song because they mention our city. I was extremely happy.

I was also happy I stayed because after the last tune they played they did their bit with the flourish of music at the end. They sit on a note together each person in the band swelling on it and then they move around. It was really nice because it really sounds beautiful amongst the mess of different instruments. They played it last time as well and it was even more glorious.

The thing that gets me about Camera Obscura. I can never understand what they are saying in their songs. It's not ebcause of their accent, but how Tracy Anne sings! Especially live it's ridiculously difficult to hear her. I like her voice, I think it comes off well live and recorded but it's just terribly hard to understand her.

And I'm confident in saying that I am over their stage pressence issue. It's simply their style to kick it back a bit and not perform with great enthusiasm, wiht the exception of the percussionist/trumpet player.

The lead guitarist is amazing. I think the band's songs wouldn't sound half as good as they do without him.


No comments:

Post a Comment