Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Girls at the El Mocambo; Tuesday November 10, 2009

Girls at the El Mocambo; Tuesday November 10, 2009

Girls are a Pitchfork prodigy. I think that is why everyone latched on to them so quickly. "Lust For Life" is easily their catchiest tune with the words - "I wish I had a boyfriend, I wish I had a man in my life...". They sort of bear this seventies rough-pop sound. I love how simple they are.

I can feel their inspiration drawing from Elvis Costello, The Beach Boys and punk bands... Chirstopher Owens' vocals are distinct. He however sounds exactly like the album live.

I overheard a guy behind me say - "I think this band, if they keep play, have a lot of potential. They'll play somewhere bigger soon." I feel like Pitchfork has bred people to think this of this band. Regardless - It seems like they'll probably evolve to a bigger venue in future, like Lee's or the Horseshoe... And all of those people that saw them at the El Mocambo will say: "I saw them at the El Mocambo last year!" Like the Fleet Foxes gig...

I really like Girls - they're less produced than bands like them on a bigger scale. They have the energy that rock music is so often missing.

They're not quite shoegaze, but they're poppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment