Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros at the El Mocambo; Tuesday November 24, 2009

Edward Sharpe is actually - Alex Ebert. The Magnetic Zeros are a group of ten or fifteen people backing he and the ultra lovely Jade Castrinos up.

I'm really sick of their references to the days of flower power and hippies. I don't think that they personify the carefree lifestyles that the terms push, but instead they host an alternate outlook on music. I didn't live through the sixties so I guess I'm not in my place to say, but I'm going to make bold here and assume that it wasn't exactly like this. Edward Sharpe and gang make ridiculously fun music. Their tunes are loaded with energy but at times dull and a little too slow. The format of those slow and eased out songs have Ebert singing v
ocals, they fortunately are saved by the solid band that accompanies.

It's pretty amazing that this L.A. band could sell out the El Mocambo f
or two nights. I had just found out about the show and it had already sold out. I have to say it was their tune "Home" that sucked me in to it all. The song is carefree and effortless, exactly like the band shows in the live gig. Ebert came out dressed in a beige linen, shirt and pant combo - like something light from India. He eventually stripped down to a tank top by the second song. There weren't as many people as I though there would be - only about eight or nine. Apparently, the other girl in the band was off for some reason - they mentioned they missed her on tour.

Ebert was easil
y the star of the show, but the crowd loved Jade more than anyone. The pixie haircut girl was charming - it was almost as if each song they played was completely new to her. My large YouTube searches on this band revealed that they've been playing the tune "Home" for three years now! Remarkable! Jade had a radiant smile the entire show - all the girls around me were commenting just how cute she was. It got ten times cuter when Jade and Alex shared the microphone for the tune "Home". They took turns holding it and sang into it together.

The only other band I think that fosters
this sort of energy is a band called Dark Meat. I saw them at the Drake ages ago with a dear friend. They sort of had that anything goes mentality that stews the creativity in a live concert setting. It's sort of exciting because anything did go - by the end of the gig I was crouching on the ground - for their one-song encore they played an acoustic tune from the ground.

I'm not sure if this band
will get repeat listens in future, but they have a lot of energy. This is the type of show that I would love to see with a group of friends. It felt kind of weird when they were playing "Home" and I turned around and saw a couple hundred other people bobbing and swaying to the very song that energised me instantly upon first listen. I'm sure it did the same to them too. It's a strange thought to share musical tastes with people - and even weirder to watch it in the same room and never talk to those individuals - ever.

I wonder if they can replicate it without dupl
icating too much.

The openers called
"Fools Gold" were awful. I felt like I was on a tropical vacation.





1 comment: