Saturday, November 7, 2009

Dan Auerbach at the Phoenix; Saturday November 7, 2009

Dan Auerbach at the Phoenix; Saturday November 7, 2009

This was a great show. Dan Auerbach has a powerhouse voice that is like no one other's voice. I know very little about playing guitar from my little dabbles in playing but this show made me think who a good guitar player was. It made me think of it in a different way than I would with different people. For instance, the one person who I thought was the best guitar player earlier this week didn't even cross my mind. That person is M. Ward.

Auerbach is different that M. Ward, big time. I think what made me completely separate the two artists is their music styles. Auerbach has an intense voice that shocks, where as M. Ward has a fuzzy glow when he performs.

All I could think about this entire show is how as the Black Keys it's just him and the drummer. Minimal but it comes off sounded full and together. Ironically, his solo act has a five piece band to follow. He calls them 'the Fast Five'. They sounded terrific. I kept thinking about how good the guitarist must be if Auerbach is using him. So that makes for two guitars, two drums, a bass and a keyboardist. One of Auerbach's drummers is named Patrick Hallahan of My Morning Jacket. The second My Morning Jacket person this week i've seen live!

Auerbach did not play any Black Keys material. The audience didn't seem to mind. He opened with the beautiful tune, "Trouble Weighs a Ton" he played it alone with the help of his guitarist. The second tune he played was "I Want Some More" and the only way I remembered this was because it matches the sequence of the album. They went on to play the entire album, i'm not sure if they played "When I Left The Room" or "Street Walkin'". I don't really remember those songs.

My big problem wiht the Black Keys/Dan Auerbach is a lot of their material comes off sounded the same. Big guitar riffs and strong Auerbach vocals. I think that's why songs like "Real Desire" (an Auerbach tune) come off sounding so impressive! I noticed as soon as I walked in they had Christmas lights strung across half the venue. It looked terrific. Seems like their travelling with them. During the song "Real Desire" at around the bridge, they lit up. They lit up to the point that the entire audience could be seen by the stage. I have seen nothing like it for such an extended period of time. It was truly remarkable. I took a picture, but it looked really lousy. The lights trickled in and out of the show from them. It made a really great song even more perfect.

The thing that divides Auerbach from the Black Keys is his ability to do the quiet songs. The softest song off of Attack and Release is easily "Things Ain't Like They Use To Be". Auerbach has three or four slower songs on his debut, some as soft to sound like a lullaby or a country tune.

Doors were at 5:30pm so I stumbled by at 7:15pm to find that the second opener Justin Townes Earl was finishing his last song. I missed Jessica Lea Mayfield. I'm pretty ticked at myself! I however saw Jessica earlier this year, January. I'm sure she'll be back. Justin Townes Earl was really good, he looked like Elvis Costello and sounded like a newer, less polished Buddy Holly. He made it clear to everyone at the end of his set where he's from, very American - he's from Tennessee.

The venue was pretty packed. People seemed into it. Auerbach is definately a performer, a good one at that.

1 comment:

  1. Good grief, it's very evident I did not edit this piece. Sorry!

    I like these ideas though. They mirror the sentiments I felt of the Black Keys' gig.

    ReplyDelete