Monday, October 11, 2010

Music in September, a month late

For the month of September I was caught in a complete whirlwind with the film festival. I managed to see a whopping 26 films in just nine days. I also managed to see 2 quality Toronto bands in those nine days as well and I thought i'd just leave a note or two about those gigs.

First off, I saw Zeus and Jamie Lidell on Tuesday September 14 at Lee's. I had solely been interested in this gig because Zeus was on the bill. Zeus completely shook my mates and I at their last gig at the Mod Club. They were so together and radiating with energy, I couldn't help myself to drop the twenty bucks to see them once again. This time I found myself pretty let down by everything. It seemed the gig was a little last minute or very little thought was put into it - perhaps because they were the openers. They had a very tiny place to actually play - very little movement at all. They played all the usual suspect songs drawing from most of their album 'Say Us.' The only song I would've like to have heard was the Neil Quin song "Heavy On Me."


I had a really terrific moment where I knew they were going to launch into "Greater Times on the Wayside" followed by "River By the Garden." There's something wonderful about feeling completely at home with a band and being familiar with their material to feel what's next.

Jamie Lidell was a complete surprise. A complete party. The venue managed to fill up good as the gig was last minute changed from the Opera House to Lee's, a big step down. Mind you, if this change hadn't happened I would not've opted to see this gig. Lidell is a huge ball of energy. He reminded me a bunch of Eli 'Paperboy' Reed for his white guy soul, few host the energy and charisma that Lidell has in his live gig. To this day I still haven't gotten around to his recorded stuff because of the bad reviews a pal had said prior to his appearance on stage. He seems like an artist I could have a ball seeing but find completely cheesy recorded. Regardless, I'd see Lidell again if it was at a smaller venue. We nipped out about half way through his energetic set. prematurely scooted out.


The second gig I made it out to that week was The Darcys at the Drake; Friday September 17. Thankfully this was an early gig. They were playing for one of the many TIFF after parties. This one was to have Caribou DJ a set after his gig at the Phoenix. I only had the time to see the Darcys for Caribou was going on at 12am. The Darcys were incredible, I can't stress how great this band's live show is. They are hands down my favourite unsigned Toronto band to see. I can't say enough good things about them. This has to be my third or fourth time seeing them this year and I've found myself to grow closer to their songs from just seeing their live gigs. The Darcys' greatest weakness is not releasing any of their newer material, with only two new Darcys songs up for grabs.

They've left us with only those two songs and a live video from a late summer gig at the Whippersnapper. Both completely worth checking out:


Songs can be downloaded for free off their website.

If you need anymore incentive, their new material was produced by the brilliant frontman of The Dears Murray Lightburn. Who I will have the absolute pleasure of seeing this Thursday at the Garrison. I felt really good hearing that the Dears would be showcasing their new material in a three show residency at the Garrison, my friend looked at it as a bad thing, that the band couldn't properly sell out one show at a bigger venue. He saw it as more work and time for the sake of a smaller venue. The last time I saw this band it was at one of two shows at the beautiful Music Gallery, or more properly put a small church. The pews were removed and it was a real rock show. The intimacy made the show a more memorable worthwhile experience that I anticipate will be duplicated at their Garrison gigs this upcoming week. I'm stoked.


No comments:

Post a Comment