Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Walkmen with AA Bondy at the Phoenix; Saturday October 9, 2010

This is my third time seeing the Walkmen and what's most impressive about that is they were in the span of about loosely two years - spread out in three. Enough space to forget how much you loved them so and never feel like they've given too much.

Speaking of the concept of minimalism, the band's forte is definitely somewhere in their ability to maximise a very minimal group. Each memeber is incredibly tight and well played. Most obvious is the lead singer's ability to completely fill the room with his booming voice. Very unsuspecting for his tiny frame and charming good looks. A new pal turned over to me and said - "it's pretty amazing that that voice came from that man." I agreed. The thing about the vocals is that they are really like very few - scratchy and coarse but a little schmulzy at times. The two acts that kind of share similar styles are the Strokes and the Killers, two bands I don't love.

The aspect that became very apparent from this live show was the heightened use of piano. They have an extra player on stage to cover synth and piano. He was always there before - but for some reason he really jumped out. The new album really showcases bigger piano bits.

Seeing this band also serves as a huge reminder of how incredible the guitar work is. With only one sometimes two guitar players - the sound is very clear and full sounding. I am always amazed that the riff in "Canadian Girl" is soley done on the guitar. Upon first hearing and falling in love with the song, I was so certain that the main riff was all piano work. This band doesn't have plain old chords but rather they have busy noodles that really serve to give the song greater complexity.

This go 'round I was really charmed by the drummer. Heavy hits and great charisma, even from the back he really revealed his presence. There's something really lovely about seeing a live band, it really gives the listener a greater understanding of how it's all put together.

I am not the biggest Walkmen fan but something keeps me coming back for this band. The first gig I really wasn't sure. I bought the tickets on a limb not really knowing. Fully based on a friend's recommendation. Very shortly after I fell in love with the artwork fro
the album 'You & Me' and shortly after that the song "Canadian Girl." Now, beyond all that it has become the band's energy that keeps me interested. The Walkmen by no means have a pretty sound, which makes it incredibly difficult to accessibly enjoy their tunes. I think it's their energy and polished sound that keeps people engaged. Their sound is angsty without being angry. The band have really mastered a sound that no other band has and that's why people love 'em.

A note on AA Bondy -

AA Bondy is well-loved in Toronto for his return plays in the city. He was recently here past for North By North East. I first checked him out on YouTube a little earlier today. He's folky with a lot of the emotion of a bluesy singer. Most of the videos were of him alone and I really couldn't help but think of a brilliant artist in saw three years ago at the Cameron House called the Phonogarde. His live show had two other players sporting a bass guitar, drums and the occasional lap steel. AA Bondy has an impeccably controlled sound despite the tendancy to stray into foggy distortions and other tricks that I have no idea how to articulate.

The other opener that I missed most of was Blood Feathers who had a terrific dialogue between guitars and the sax. Missed most of their set and really wasn't feeling them on YouTube.

Great show, and for the sake of the Eye Weekly writer I met and conversed with. I give this gig a 4 star review. Easily one of the better shows of the year, pity it was at the crummy Phoenix. They just keep playing to bigger crowds each time they come by.

No comments:

Post a Comment