Monday, February 14, 2011

Matthew Barber at the Drake Underground; Saturday February 12, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

Here's Matthew Barber's encore closer at his gig at the Drake (this video's from a 2009 gig in BC):


I was completely charmed by Matthew Barber, a Mississauga native. He was raised in my neighbourhood along with his singer/songwriter sister Jill. I never gravitated naturally towards Barber, I even fostered a better interested in his sister's music with her release of Chances. In the last few months I have seen Matthew Barber a quite a few times. He was the drummer for Doug Paisley - I was totally blown away by his good posture and presence on stage even as a drummer. I also heard him play a couple of tunes at one of the basement revue gigs. Of them he showcased a tune he wrote for the play The Haunted Hillbilly, which received rave reviews at the Summerworks Festival.

I was actually at this gig -


Hear the recorded version of this song that appears on his latest release True Believer.

For this show he brought out a four piece accompaniment band. I really enjoyed the added sound to his tunes. He does fine on his own though! I found myself slightly bored throughout his slower tunes.

Barber has a terrific voice and presence on stage. You'd be nutty not to see him.

Go on fall in love with the beautiful, charming Matthew Barber!



No comments:

Post a Comment