Friday, February 18, 2011

Okkervil River return

Have you met Okkervil River yet?

Formed in 1998 in Austin, Texas, Okkervil River are by no means new players to the music world. I had the fantastic opportunity to see them play at the Phoenix two Canadian Thanksgivings ago. It was a brilliant opportunity to feel anything and everything; Okkervil River just do that much for me!

I just read up that amidst all of the Arcade Fire flak that we've all been hearing about, Okkervil frontman Will Sheff was nominated for a Grammy. He was nominated for the liner notes he wrote in the Roky Erickson's new album True Love Cast Out All Evil. An album that Okkervil accompanied on and Will Sheff produced.

Sheff wrote a brilliant, sincere account of his experience at the Grammys -

To friends, I played the whole thing off, saying, "Winning a Grammy for writing is like winning an Oscar for cooking," but I'm secretly a big fan of glitz, pageantry, and general excess, and I eventually decided it would be fun to check out the ceremony.
("Who the Hell Is That?," Will Sheff, February 15, 2011)

He gets a little snarky near the end as he emphasises the vast inequalities in the music industry. Pointing out that Will Smith's kids could have an award winning movie or a hit song if they want to. Or Gwenyth Paltrow can sing anywhere she likes, whether want to hear it or not.

He also talks about the gasps and common question raised, especially in his presence - "Who the hell is that?" I can absolutely understand the hostility in the air at a fancy award show glorifying all sorts of acts from across the board. It's something well all need.

I definitely had my fix working at a record store. If there's anything I learned from working so long at a record store that's admitting to not knowing an artist. At the beginning I would try to understand everything and fake it too. Sometimes a valid skill, but if you really want to get into a new act, you have to be cool with not knowing anything. Similarly, a strength I also acquired at the end of my time in University - it's totally OK to not know something. I think I would've got more out of the academic experience if I admitted to that demon. OK, I don't read The Economist everyday! (Although, I tried for a few weeks to do so!)

Will Sheff is a writer. It shows in his songs. I am greatly looking forward to their new album I Am Very Far and a tour to follow in early May!

For the record, he lost to Robert Gordon's liner notes to the Big Star box set Keep An Eye On The Sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment