Friday, February 4, 2011

Do Make Say Think at Sonic Boom; Thursday February 3, 2011

Tonight, I can confidently say I was musically blown away. I had the latter half of my evening blocked off for Julie Doiron at the Horseshoe Tavern, while Do Make Say Think at Sonic Boom was a complete surprise.

I arrived in good time with canned food donation in hand at the Do Make gig. As I walked in I couldn't help but notice how few people were actually there, but then again it was only seven. They went on shortly after, around 7:20pm. In the mean time, I couldn't help but get excited when they were warming up. I could hear the first strums of "Auberge Le Mouton Noir" and their epic ten minute tune "Do." Sure enough, both tunes were included in their set.

I kept thinking about how intense it was that the band could play a ten minute tune like "Do" and pull it off. I knew the song like the back of my hand, but I couldn't help but think about the person next to me and how they felt about the marathon of a song. I remember when I first saw Do Make back in 2005, I found myself extremely bored. Then again, I was into Thirce and Dashboard at the time. Regardless, what made this performance so wonderful was that I felt at home with the music. What sets this band apart from others is that they have no lyrics, or if they do (ha) they aren't that complicated, or at not the main focus by any means.

This was the first gig of theirs that violinist Julie Penner wasn't on stage, although I did see her make an eventual appearance mid-way through the band's set. Their music had a slight void. Most notably in the song "Le Auberge Mouton Noir."

Addtionally, no vocals were included in the set (probably a good thing).

Also, no trumpet bit was played at the end of the tune "Do". Which I feel is an essential bit in the tune. Instead, they just phased the song out with the spacey sound that normally accompanies.

This was definitely the least put together show I have heard them put on. Mind you, the venue was absolute garbage. It was the rec room basement of Sonic Boom, I suppose I should set my bar down a few inches. It's pretty impressive that t hey could minimise their sound so well, with two drum kits and guitars and a dominant bass. Charles Spearin is king. They are just a really well put together band who have been around longer than I care to admit.

You can't listen to this song and not get the chills:

6 comments:

  1. Came across this looking for some pictures of the set. Agreed on both counts about the trumpet part at the end of Do, and also on the 'venue' being garbage. I'm used to seeing smaller punk bands play shitholes, but DMST really deserve that oomph of a bigger system. Did you see Greed at the lightbox where they provided the soundtrack?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did see Greed. It was remarkable, they didn't turn around once that whole gig.

    Furthermore, such an ambitious film to take on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I like your thoughts on 'Forgiveness Rock Record.' Although, you seemed to like it a whole lot more than I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://hearwaxmedia.com/3714/broken-social-scene-forgiveness-rock-record

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Although that record is a strange case for me. The first few months I owned it I was enamored by it. Head over heels in love... But lately I feel somewhat distanced. I think I prefer their earlier output moreso still.

    And that's excellent about Greed. It's one of those events I still kick myself over not going to, but it was either study for my exam or not study... And I chose the latter.

    I will be perusing this site!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a bunch.

    I don't think I could bear that film without Do Make Say Think's help.

    ReplyDelete