Wednesday, May 18, 2011

For Alex: An Okkervil River Education

"Westfall" was their set closer. I remember googling the lyrics "Evil Don't Look Like Anything" after hearing that song for the first time live. I was so excited and sad that I didn't know it.



En Espanol:



"For Real" has to be one of my favourite songs of this band. Will Scheff apparently wrote the lyrics of this song playing around to see how many times he could say the word "real." Success!



"Song For Our So-Called Friends" is a gorgeous song. This was the only song I really wanted to hear at the last gig that wasn't played. This is also from Black Sheep Boy.



"All The Latest Toughs" was the first Okkervil River song I fell in love with. I use to borrow CDs from the record store and browse at them during breaks without actually buying them. I remember listening to this in the food court on an MP3 player while browsing the lyric book that came with the CD.



THE BRIDGE:

"And I don' tknow what else you want here played, cant think what lines you'd like me to sing or say. Not sure waht subjects you want mentioned, just pause and add your own intentions, just pause and your own, let's pause and add our own intentions right here ______."

AND THAT'S HOW IT'S WRITTEN IN THE LINERS. AMAZING. It's the part I just wanna dance in, no lyrics. Unfortunately, when they play it live he sort of talks that bit rather than singing it.

If you buy this CD make sure you get the Appendix, or bonus CD with it. Artwork is painfully unattractive, but so amazing. Done by artist, Will Schaff (not to be confused with Scheff). Schaff also did their art work for I Am Very Far.

A live video of it:



"Unless It Kicks" has an incredible amount of edge to it. I love the punch this song packs.

No comments:

Post a Comment