Monday, May 11, 2009

Julie Doironat the Horseshoe Tavern; Thursday March 26, 2009

Julie Doiron at the Horseshoe Tavern; Thursday March 26, 2009.

Have you met Julie Doiron yet? If you haven't she was in the '90s independent rock band Eric's Trip. It's hard to say whether they're actually independent or not as they were on Sub Pop. Think back when Sub Pop wasn't representing Wolf Parade but bands with a bit more edge to them. $100 opened up the show after Rick White (former lover of Doiron and Eric's Trip bandmate) who i had missed. I really wanted to see $100, they have a fairly unique sound for all the fame they've been getting lately. I like them, they do put on a good show. The Horseshoe was packed, i hated it! Their live sound is spot on, however I was seriously wondering how lead singer Simone Fornow would actually sing if she wasn't in her distinct country style. Doiron is a complete gem. She's cute as a button with brown messy hair tied back. She entered the stage suddenly and alone. She then proceeded to play three or four songs alone without a band. The first song she played was especially nice because it was just her singing. Simple and sweet. Between those songs she was thinking aloud wondering if she should play a sad or a happy song. At this point i sort of got the idea that she was known for her sad, sad songs. The new album (the first Doiron anything i've ever bought!) is happy, it's full of love and optimism. I read in an interview she wrote quiet songs because she didn't want to wake up her kids (she's got three!). I thought that was sweet, and it spot on reflected her life at the time. I met some people a day later and they got really pissed that she stopped in most songs to say something about what just happened. I found in crazy cute, she oozes honesty and heart. She reminds me of a rougher Cat Power with the simplicity and heart Feist had beforehand. She doesn't mind messing up, she completely backs it up with charm.The rest of her set was comprised of mainly the new album, she played it in order. I didn't know it well enough to notice that until later. Of the album titled 'I Can Wonder What You Did With Your Day' I really like the edgy “Spill Yer Lungs”, “Blue” and “I'm Glad To Be Alive”. Three is a good number for a new release i must say.For the encore she came out alone and played “Glad To Be Alive”, I just knew she would. I rarely feel so certain going into anything. I had a great time at this show, perfect venue for this lovely lady.

March 29, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment