Monday, May 11, 2009

Six Shooter Showcase; Saturday March 14, 2009

Amelia Curran and Jenn Grant; Saturday March 14, 2009.

Canadian Music Week is normally a complete bust. This year I have to say had a lot of potential, perhaps it’s just the music scene perking up a bit.It seems as though the East Coast really shone through over any other area. The Rivoli even had an exclusive Nova Scotia showcase. The two ladies I saw tonight were from Nova Scotia--Jenn Grant and Amelia Curran. Rich Terfry AKA Buck 65 has a radio show on CBC Radio 2 called Drive. It airs weekdays from three to six in the afternoon. I couldn’t think of a better job I would like to do, paid or unpaid. He has been playing a great deal of both Amelia Curran and Jenn Grant. These girls have many things in common even excluding their geography. Grant and Curran are both signed to Six Shooter Records, a Toronto based record label tucked in the far reaches of Queen Street West. This label is happening, I’m making bold to call it the new Arts and Crafts, as they find their way out. Six Shooter is the home of primarily singer song writers but also alt-country gems. Curran played first, prime eleven o’clock time slot. She played an acoustic guitar with a steel guitar to accompany. The steel guitarist played noodled along to her strumming. As I said before I’d heard her a couple of times on CBC Radio 2 Drive, both my boss and I decided we really liked her. She recently opened up for Luke Doucet (also Six Shooter) on his recent tour. I really wasn’t too impressed with her set, her lyrics are witty but they sound like they would sit perfectly next to Sarah Barralis and Colbie Callait. Her tune “The Mistress” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=524UUvq6uCQ) sounds like something that Pink could have wrote and put out easily. I think she’s really talented I just hope she doesn’t explode on that scene. Jenn Grant was the highlight of my evening. She put on an incredible set. She has a distinct voice that in now way can be confused with anyone else. She just released her new album titled ‘Echoes’… It has a significantly more full sound than her older album titled ‘Orchestra for the Moon’. I found her very charming live, her banter with the audience was really sweet. Her music is light, she’s the only guitarist in her band. Her band however is very full, she has an upright electric bassist, a violinist, a keyboardist and a drummer. I first saw her open for the Veils nearly two years ago. I remember thinking she had a very sweet voice but she would never get anywhere with only a violinist and a pianist. Her sound has really blossomed. She did a cover of Neil Young’s “Only Love Can Break Your Heart”, which sounded fantastic, it had completely different vibe than his version. Catherine McClelland even jumped out and sang a bit, it was really nice (she's also from the East!).Jenn Grant’s a really beautiful musician, you should really check her out. http://www.jenngrant.com/Echoes/jenngrant.htmlMelissa McClelland played later, but i felt a little tuckered out so i left.

March 15, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment