Monday, May 11, 2009

Maria Taylor at the El Mocambo; Friday April 17, 2009

Maria Taylor at the El Mocambo; Friday April 17, 2009

Maria Taylor is sloppy. Her live show is minimal with what seems like a last minute put together band with boys ten years younger than she. Regardless, her show was great. Her voice was spot on despite her demeanor. I find it real funny that I saw this slopfest of a show after Neko Case, as perfect as live gigs get. I mainly feel the way after getting there a bit early seeing the openers Whispertown 2000. This was a band I saw probably four years ago, when Jenny Lewis first toured her flawless album titled 'Rabbit Fur Coat'. Yes, believe it or not that album was released nearly five years ago, it just may have been five!! I barely remember their set but my friend Lily was all about them, and still is if I'm not mistaken. Of seeing their set today, they look ridiculously young. Too young to have toured five years ago. When I got in they were playing a tune that was loud and aggressive. They were chanting catchy tunes. Moments I felt really into it, others I just thought I could get at home, with one of my housemates dancing to mediocre music as they normally do. I found it funny that they alternated instruments after each song, proving that none of them were really good at any instrument. I didn't really like this band, I hope they learn how to play before they tour again. They weren't short on fun though.Maria Taylor flopped on at around 11:30. I was pretty beat but jazzed nonetheless to see this lady for the third time. The first I saw with my Mother at the Horseshoe Tavern. At that gig her band consisted of her sister on the keyboard and her brother somewhere else. This show none of her family members were in her band. The second time I saw her was with Johnathan Rice, not too long ago. I think it was in the fall, I could be wrong though. This show was by far the best gig i've seen her live at. The last show I think she played more tunes alone. The band this time round were together, each one of them seemed to know what they were doing. Taylor's voice was great, it was all there. They keyboardist was also really fantastic. Many of her songs have a bunch of keyboard work and it really came through this gig.I was really happy to hear her play “Speak Easy,” which as always I found completely and utterly charming. She introduced it as a 'love song'. She also played “No Stars”, one of my favourite songs to hear live, because of its pick ups and fall downs. They translated it live perfectly. She also played “Replay” a catchy tune. I always forget how much I really like Maria Taylor. I was pretty beat and I didn't end up staying for her entire set. I left after hearing practically every song I wanted to, with the exception of “Song Beneath a Song”. I knew she'd play as a closer, as it was featured on Grey's Anatomy. Well worth the twelve bucks I paid.

May 2, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment