Saturday, May 30, 2009

June Capper, Brand New and Camera Obscura

I've rediscovered my love for Brand New. Thanks to the wonders of downloading, I found a series of off cuts from live gigs. Seems as though lead singer Jesse Lacey digs less punk and Morrissey tunes. He covers a Neutral Milk Hotel from their legendary album 'In the Aeroplane Over the Sea' called "Oh Comely" and my favourite "Upward Over the Mountain" by Iron and Wine. He has a distinct voice as far as artists go in the punk section. Lacey's voice is pretty and I always think of Morrissey because that's one of his prime influences. I hope they come back and play a venue that isn't meant for airplanes.

I can't get enough Camera Obscura. They're new album is stunning, a little over produced but it worked for the last album, so why not another? "French Navy" is cute and it's this albums response to "Hey Lloyd, I'm Ready to Be Heartbroken". I'm super excited to see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment