Saturday, May 30, 2009

Steamboat Record Release Gig at Sneaky Dee's; Saturday May 16, 2009.

Steamboat Record Release Gig at Sneaky Dee's; Saturday May 16, 2009.

This show was actually three weeks ago so I'm sort of forgetting all the wonderful little things that happened. There were however about a million brilliant things that happened that night so I feel good regurgitating everything.

Steamboat is a Toronto band. It's a conglomeration of brilliant musicians, to make a sound that sounds identical to Andre Ethier. Heavy piano pushed by Christopher Sandes is the trademark of the similarities of both these artists. This band is comprised of well-groomed thirty year olds that have been around for a while. A very comfortable, experienced demeanor they carry ridiculously well.

This gig was cleverly ran as Steamboat actually only has one album out, which is actually only an EP. Without much material they made some calls around and had some really amazing Toronto acts out to play. They first called out Ian and Simone from $100. I really don't care for $100, they're sound is great but I can't get over how lazy it is. I always wonder what Simone would sound like if she just sung normally, leaving her country bumpkin sound behind. I've got my bets on not very good. They played two songs.

I wasn't really familiar with Alex Lukashevsky or Mantler. I really liked Lukashevsky, his sound is together. Mind you as was Mantler's but Mantler sort of had this ridiculous joke-like feel to him, I almost couldn't take him seriously. Most of the bands had a really soulful feel. I think I can seriously credit it to their back up band--Steamboat.

Alex Lukashevsky's recorded material is really slow, they breathed serious life into it.

Doug Paisley is great, he has an Band-like feel through his steady songs, when he doesn't go country overboard. I found out that Paisley is one part of Dark Hand and Lamplight, of who I saw open up for Apostle of Hustle two or three years ago. They use overhead projectors to show live art happening, through the hands of Shary Boyle, using dry erase markers on acetate paper.

It was such a treat to see Sandro Perri, this was the first time i've seen him. I heard the tune "Double Suicide" and that's what sold me on his music. He however shared the stage with the kooky Mantler and only sang one song. I'm under the impression that Perri's niche is in making music, as his original band called Polmo Pompo was an instrumental group, he shocked all of his friends when he put out a project with his vocals. This night had a real soulful vibe to it so naturally his song choice reflected that.

There were a lot of covers peppered through the acts, which was cool. Familiarity always wins the crowd. Andre Ethier however did no such thing. Surprisingly, I recognised two out his three song choices, he played "On Lies" first, a really amazing song that kicks in with his ukelele and is carried on by it. He is immaculate live. He also played another tune off of 'On Blue Fog' called "Pride of Egypt". Ethier's distinct style almost sounds like preaching when performed and recorded. It's distinct. I've never heard the Deadly Snakes but it's something I need to get on, Ethier use to be a part of that group. I didn't recognise the third song but I really enjoyed his portion of the set.

This gig really points out Steamboats chameleon ability as a group. They can pick up and gel to other sounds really easily. From what I've gathered Steamboat use to be primarily a backup band at the Tranzac. The bands that play the Tranzac sort of stay on the outskirts of the Toronto music scene. The little Australian bar is pretty awesome but for it's size and capability it's sort of left out quite often. It's good they brought the boys out the Tranzac.

Lovely, well-put together show.

andre ethier, sandro perri, mantler, alex lukashevsky, ian and simone from $100 and doug paisley

No comments:

Post a Comment