Saturday, June 12, 2010

'Away We Go'

I saw this film at the AMC theatre when it first came out probably a year ago. It was also the last film to my memory that paid full price for... (I strongly believe no one should pay full price for a movie!)

The film was directed by Sam Mendes, ex-hubby of Kate Winslet and was written by the brilliant writer Dave Eggers (Zeitoun) and Vendela Vida.

This film is so prevalent to me because of its beautiful soundtrack, mostly by Alexi Murdoch and other older gems. I think if I were to make a soundtrack for a film, it would shape up to look something like this. It really taps into older gems like - "Golden Brown" by the Stranglers, "Oh, Sweet Nuthin'" by the Velvet Underground and even more amazingly George Harrison's "What Is Life?"

I really love soundtracks that showcase a particular artist's music as well. It sort of like posting artwork in a doctor's office or a coffee shop for spectacle and sale. It serves as a musicians showcase, without the immense judgement one would recieve at a music festival. The audience may listen, or they may take it as it is - Background music. When I was watching the credits roll through, it really excited me when a mother and daughter couple were wondering who created the music in the film.

Not too long before, 'Dan in Real Life' gave Sondre Lerche a real boost by showcasing all of his music.

and perhaps less obvious but more effective - Garden State's work on the Shins as music that "will change your life."

No comments:

Post a Comment