Thursday, June 10, 2010

She & Him at the Sound Academy, Wednesday June 9, 2010

The Sound Academy has to be the worst venue to see a concert. It's long and narrow and it's always jammed way more than it should be! So with that said, it takes a very special show to get me there.

I was absolutely blown away by the show tonight. It left me in awe of how lovely a show can be. Zooey Deschanel, the bell of the ball really lit up the room. Since the last time I saw her she has become significantly more comfortable with everything she did on stage. I remember last time, she barely played any insturments and very coyly spoke to the audience. This time it was really about the music, there was very little talking and banter and more musicianship.

She said "Hello Toronto" about three songs in and commented on how she was saying it properly. She pronounced it Torawno, without the "toe" part at the end. She said that's how people say it. I'd never given it any thought but I suppose that she's right.

It was really interesting to see She & Him play with two albums under their belt. I really wasn't too familiar with their new album, but I foudn it pretty consistent with their last release. Their sound is very '60s, and they're not shy to refer to it as just that. In interviews with Deschanel and M. Ward, people often ask them why their music sounds as it does, Deschanel responds by saying it's all they listen to and that they don't really listen to current music. I find that just a bit hard to believe, as there are some really good records being released.

They played a selection of cover tunes that heavily supported their claim. First they played "You Turn Me On, I'm a Radio" originally by Joni Mitchell. They played that song last time they were here, I suppose it's a ode to Canada. They then shifted to "You Really Got a Hold on Me," which was originally released by Smokey Robinson. At the end of the set for the encore they played their new gem "Fools Rush In" and a complete suprise, the closer was "Roll Over Beethoven." This was M. Ward's song, he had played it at his last solo show in Toronto and it was so much fun. At the end he and Zooey jumped on the piano together to wrap it up.

I danced a bunch. I was absolutely shocked by how inanimate the crowd was, I suppose it could be argued that they didn't have much room, but I hardly think that's enough. There's a really good energy to their music that is super peppy but not over the edge. Deschanel is an absolute sweetheart and it's pretty amazing, but not at all suprising by how people are gravitated towards her.

I was really to happy to hear some familiar tunes that I hadn't heard in quite some time:

"Sweet Darlin'"
"Sentimental Heart" (serious Spanish accents with the singalong)

No comments:

Post a Comment