Monday, June 28, 2010

Johnathan Rice

As much as I am embarassed to say, The OC was an important part of my teenage years. It served to be my emotional outlet as well as my source for music (The OC soundtrack 2, is still near my heart). I believe it was on that album that Johnathan Rice's song "So Sweet" was featured on it. That was the first time I met the guy.

A few songs that stuck out to me off of 'Trouble is Real':





Following that, I was surprised to see him as the opener for Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins' 2006 spring tour. That show to this date is probably one of the best i've seen, I just wish I could remember it better than I do. I have had the opportunity to see Johnathan Rice three times on his own. He opened for Rilo Kiley at the Phoenix and has played the El Mocambo a few times.

Since my OC days, I have listened to how his sound has really evolved from his first album 'Trouble is Real'. The album was produced by the legendary Mike Mogis (Bright Eyes, and a member of Mosters of Folk), but doesn't show it in the slightest. I always thought 'Trouble is Real' to be a tad too over-overproduced, baring its skeleton on only a couple of songs on the album. 'Trouble is Real' is my favourite Johnathan Rice album, hands down. He followed it up with 'Further North,' three years later in 2007. I was expecting more of the poppy sound he showcased on his first album, but I got more country. It very well reflects his collaboration and relationship with the wonderful Jenny Lewis. They are true collaborators - songs like "End of the Affair" and Lewis' take on "Handle With Care" really show how organic their collective ideas flow.

Off of 'Further North':



Interestingly, I read an interview where Ben Gibbard said that a conversation with Johnathan Rice inspired the song "Grapevine Fires" off of 'Narrow Stairs'.

I am extremely excited for their upcoming project titled Jenny and Johnny. I can't say I'm not surprised, Lewis seems to keep reinventing herself year after year. It seems that with every new reinvention, she comes out with something really different from anything she's done before.

I was really thrown back by her return to Rilo Kiley with the flop 'Under the Blacklight'. Don't get me wrong, the album is fun to hear live and sing at the top of your lungs with a good friend, but it's garbage for a serious listen. I think Rilo Kiley would have been better off to end their stint with 'More Adventurous' (2004). I however, probably wouldnt've been able to see them the times I did.

With Jenny and Johnny, I anticipate a folk-country sound that sounds a bunch like the album 'Further North'. I'm really hoping they make their way to Toronto to support the record.

They warn on the website that "This is not a Rilo Kiley record, a Jenny Lewis record, or a Johnathan Rice record. This is Jenny and Johnny. They’re having fun now, and they want you to, too." Very cute.

The album art is fantastic:



Reminds me a bit of:



You may also remember him from his appearance in the film 'Walk the Line' where he played Roy Orbison in a few scenes:



Jim with Jenny and Johnathan!!!



The indie gang, Gibbard, Deschanel, Matthew Caws (of Nada Surf), Lewis and Rice:

2 comments:

  1. jenny and zooey at the same time! my heart is currently melting. how i heart these ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!!! There's a picture out there of Jim from the Office with Jenny and Johnathan Rice, now that made my heart melt!

    ReplyDelete