Monday, June 14, 2010

Grant-Lee Phillips' cover of "Boys Don't Cry"

I love finding out about very established artists that I've never even heard about. It forces me to remember how much music there is out there and how much I need to see and hear.

In watching the second season opener of How I Met Your Mother, I stumbled upon a great cover of the Cure's gem "Boys Don't Cry." The cover is by an American artist Grant-Lee Phillips.

Additionally, through looking into Grant-Lee Phillips, I found a familiar name - Robyn Hitchcock. I have been seeing his name pop up every time I look for tickets as he's playing a show at the Drake that's been long sold out.

I had no idea he's my parents age and from England. I really admire well-established artists who still play tiny venues. It's incredibly disenchanting when you see a brilliant performer like James Taylor at a big whopping venue like the Air Canada Centre. So a little bit on Hitchcock - born in 1953 in England. He sings in a ridiculously over the top cockney accent (think Billy Bragg!). I really dig the tune "So You Think You're in Love."

Kings of Convenience do "Boys Don't Cry"

No comments:

Post a Comment