Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Beatles "Rocky Raccoon"

My Dad played The White Album disc one in the car earlier this week. It's an album I cherish but really hate a few tunes on it ("Piggies" and "Don't Pass Me By").

I adore the tune "Rocky Raccoon" which was supposed to be called "Rocky Sassoon," but McCartney thought "Raccoon" sounded more like a cowboy. At the beginning you'll note a bit of folk sound to his voice, it was his way of poking fun, a pastiche style mish-mash.



I also love the way my world's can collide so effortlessly! I just found out about the American rock band Roky Erickson because of Will Scheff/Okkervil River's work with his latest album True Love Cast Out All Evil. Will Scheff even won a Grammy for his liner notes! You can see my wee rant on this here. Apparently the song "Rocky Raccoon" was maybe inspired by Roky Erickson, or at least that's what his drummer Danny Thomas had to say about the McCarntney tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment