Wednesday, March 30, 2011

'Incendies' Dennis Villeneuve

My wonderful evening of Radiohead. I purchased Radiohead's latest album on vinyl today, in addition to hearing their music set perfectly to the beautiful film Incendies.

z
If you haven't seen Incendies yet, there's still time. It has to be one of the most well-told stories I've seen all year. It reminded me a bunch of the Kristen Scott Thomas film Sarah's Key - they basically both trace back former events, flipping narratives from the past and present. Both films unfold their stories with great sophistication, keeping me on edge throughout.

I can't glow enough of the film's use of "You and Whose Army" by Radiohead. It was haunting but not painfully out of cultural context - it definitely got me more into the movie this way. I love minimal soundtracks, it really better focuses a movie whose prime interest isn't in storytelling with music. There's something really mood evoking about Radiohead, it just gives me the chills to listen to that song and think about the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment