Wednesday, March 2, 2011

'Blue Valentine' Sountrack




I am totally feeling the soundtrack tonight. I know it's just Grizzly Bear, but it's more than that. It's sheer perfection.

"... a few years ago, my friend and former film teacher, Phil Solomon, introduced me to the music of Grizzly Bear. I found it to be so cinematic. I would drive around with my family in my car, Yellow House on repeat, and see the world of Blue Valentine. Like the movie in my mind, I found their music had classic roots yet it was extremely modern. And the songs for the most party, were about relationships. I began writing the script while playing it in the background and I never once had writer's block. The music began to inform the situations, the characters, the world. It became the inspiration for the modern, raw version of Blue Valentine. Sometimes on set the actors and I would pile into a car and blast a Grizzly Bear song to put us in the mood of the movie. It became our cinematic landscape - the sound of the world."

- Derek Cinefrance, Jaunary 2011, soundtrack liner notes

No comments:

Post a Comment