Monday, March 14, 2011

'Scenes from the Suburbs,' Spike Jonze, The Arcade Fire

Last week I attended a class called Rock and Popular Music taught by a man called Rob Bowman. Our class' focus was on the '70s looking at progressive rock, blues and their influences on rock n' roll.

We talked about concept albums and double albums replacing the single. Showing that there was a good market for the extended experience. With releases like Derek and the Dominoes' Layla, George Harrison's All Things Must Pass, Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen as well as concept albums like The Kinks' Face to Face and The Who's Quadrophenia. There was a desire for more, people we buying into it.

It's funny because I think to how in this day, we've come a long way from the single to the full-length. Singles do not exist anymore, they've been replaced by EPs entirely. I myself, will not buy a record unless it wows me musically or artwork wise, thus singles for their minimal packaging and sound don't often entice me.

The Arcade Fire and Spike Jonze (the white Spike director) are creating a film called Scenes from the Suburbs an interesting franchise from the Arcade Fire. The movie looks great, but the trailer seems a little fake, maybe that's just me, or the ridiculous narrative. The artwork reminds me a bunch of Truffaut's The 400 Blows. I like it already!


Trailer:


No comments:

Post a Comment