Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Rob Schnapf: Elliott Smith, Saves the Day

Elliott Smith's From A Basement On A Hill is an interesting release that was put out posthumourously. It was also the first Elliott Smith album that I ever listened to or bought. Fortunately, I knew he was dead as I was listening to it, so no hearts were broken in this acquisition. 


Rob Schnapf along with Smith's ex-girlfriend Joanna Bolme together produced this album. It's interesting because I have given so much thought as to how this album was put together. I always wondered what it would look like if Smith put it together himself - seems as though he had the intentions of making it a double album. I'm sort of glad he didn't because I really adore the way the album came out to look like. Apparently, there were around fifty tracks, many unfinished that were potentially going to make the album. Furthermore, the track "Ostriches Chirping" wasn't even an Elliott Smith track, but a David McConnell track. It cleans up my favourite tune off of the album "King's Crossing." 

This album is spotless. I wish I was ten years older. 

A side note, Rob Schnapf also produced my favourite album of all time Stay What You Are by Saves the Day.     


No comments:

Post a Comment