Sunday, March 6, 2011

Ben Kweller at the Opera House; Saturday March 5, 2011

Big concert night in the city with the Junos '00s party, Plants and Animals with Karkwa and finally the one I chose, Ben Kweller and Pete Yorn.

I really got excited when I made the solid decision to go to this show. I have seen Ben Kweller four times to date, three in Toronto and once in Ann Arbor. I'm not sure if I should regard this as my fifth time seeing the man because I actually didn't really see him. I got to the venue at 9:30pm to find out that he had already been on for half an hour. Flustered and with a friend who didn't wanna pay the cover to see just a bit of the show that I really wanted to go to, we left the venue. I begged the bouncers, who have an incredible reputation for being assholes, to let me just listen from the hallway, they said no without hesitation.

So I took to my own devices and hung out by the side door of the venue. It was pouring rain, a new low for me, but I was able to hear the entire show, slightly muffled. I was surprised by how much material I was familiar with, every tune!

I ended up making good friends with the bouncer who wouldn't let me in without a fee. He turned out to be an alright guy who cracked the door open very slightly for me.

What I do for music!

Sonic Boom performance from 2009:





No comments:

Post a Comment