Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Travel: New York 2011, selected sights

I got back from a very brief and last minute trip to New York City. I spent the last three days and two evenings exploring a lot that New York has to offer.

Five big surprises this trip:
  1. Only bought five CDs.
  2. Bought three books, books are on average cheaper in the states.
  3. Didn't eat anywhere too fancy, although I would have really like to have.
  4. Did not eat hot dogs, but did eat mac and cheese!
  5. Didn't get mugged or harassed.
A few things I would like to highlight are some great shops that I had the pleasure of attending. I thoroughly enjoyed a bookstore called bookbook located in Greenwich Village on Bleecker Street.


Secondly, is my affinity for all things film and celebrities. I never realised how celebrity charged New York is, maybe even a bit more than LA. I say this because the celebs are tucked away in LA, while in New York they're everywhere. Furthermore, there are so many shows that are set in New York. I found myself eating at Tom's Restaurant at 110th Street and Broadway, a haunt you may recognise from a little show called Seinfeld.


I also saw a little hot dog shop called Grey's Papaya, which if I had a bit more time I would have tried to eat at. It's How I Met Your Mother's Robin Scherbatsky's favourite place to eat junk food.


Isn't it interesting how so many shows are based in New York but are actually filmed in Hollywood. It's such a fabricated reality and a common theme to my trip as I have been to both in 2011, so far.

New York = Real, Hollywood = Fake

I ate at the fab little pastry shop recommended to me by my girlfriend's Mom. Everyone sitting in the shop were regulars, everyone knew everyone.


This little munchkin was the highlight of my morning. She was no older than three and armed with a toddler scooter. Her father was trailing behind her and racing after her at the lights. There was nothing stopping this little nugget:



Greenwich village, where all things '60s happened in New York. I was completely intoxicated by my friend's Mom's stories about New York at that time. Additionally, I just saw the Phil Ochs film and fell for the passion and interest for music in that area. It's now more just a cluster of bars, peppered in with some solid record stores. Cait's Mom said that Cafe Reggio is the only place now that really shows how Greenwich Village once was. They are very proud to say that they were the first to bring the cappuccino to the US from Italy. The shop opened in 1927 and has a coffee machine from 1902. I don't drink or really enjoy coffee, but felt the need to order a cappuccino. I had the pleasure of sitting outside, as the weather was really warm last weekend in New York.


The Apollo in Harlem:



No comments:

Post a Comment