Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Michel Gondry, Jon Brion, Charlie Kaufman 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind'

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is an absolutely stunning film. I know I'm a little bit behind in acknowledging it but it is a magnificent film. As far as an Charlie Kaufman film goes, I have to say Eternal Sunshine left me with bundles more hope than Synecdoche, New York did. Both these films are very introspective, they look deep at what surface dramas are unable to touch on.

Throughout the film I felt so compelled by Kate Winslet and her acting abilities. I kept thinking back to her role as a German woman in the film The Reader. What a range!

I love these simple movie posters, they remind me of original book covers before the movie cover comes to destroy a book-turned-movie title.



So a few more words on the film - I really adored the soundtrack, not to my surprise in the slightest bit, Jon Brion was the brains behind it. Brion is the amazing producer of many albums I'm sure you have on your ipod - Elliott Smith's From a Basement on a Hill (the original 2001 version, unreleased), Spoon's Gagagdkljfdgagaa (ridiculous title) as well as albums by Keane and Aimee Mann. He's known for his Beatles like production results.

I really dig the atmosphere and environment he created with the tunes from the soundtrack. Especially, the The Korgis tune "Everybody's Got Something to Learn" he re-visioned with Beck.



No comments:

Post a Comment