Friday, March 11, 2011

Zeus at the Horseshoe; Thursday March 10, 2011

I've never been one for music festivals. Ever since I was of legal age, I have been volunteering for North by North East, but it's kind of a different bird than actually club hopping. For one, I was always given a pass - which I only really got use of in recent years. I haven't dropped good money on a wristband just because of the fear of not getting into some big shows that i'd really like to see.

Yesterday, I toughed three acts and only got let down by one! That band was Still Life Still, a very young group recently signed to Arts and Crafts. WHY? I would like to know why a band with such a lousy sounding live show can get signed. There was nothing to them. Out of tune blended vocals, fuzzy melodies and too much synth. I usually don't have the patience to stay through bands I don't care for, but I was with company so I stuck through.

Before Still Life Still I was surprised to see Torquil Campbell's band Memphis play. I was for some reason expecting Rich Aucoin to go on, but instead the very offensive Torquil took the stage. He took the time to introduce the name of his band before each song to acquaint new listeners to his music. In my Stars hey day, I bought a Memphis album or two without much thought. I also have heard his set closer "Incredibly Drunk on Whisky" on Rich Terfry's CBC radio show countless times. There's something really comfortable about hearing a tune that you know. Torquil as always gets me with his presence, but turns me off with his words - often overbearing and obnoxious. I would argue he is still someone worth seeing.

ZEUS. What can I say about one of my favourite bands? I remember this time last year I saw Zeus share the stage with both Bahamas and Jason Collett. At that time, I really didn't love the bands as I do now. Zeus and Bahamas in the last year have really become warm favourites in my itunes library. I don't think I've fallen for two acts so quickly before. It's kind of odd considering I remember heading out of their gig last year early. I think i'd give an arm to hear all those men in one show.

I can't stress to you what a good show Zeus puts on. They are true performers. Again maybe it's the comfort of knowing all their tunes, or loving them as much as I do, but I think it's bigger than that. Things seem effortless to this band. They turned a fifty-five minute set into something that felt longer - not because they were taking the stage too long, but their songs are just that engaging. I had as much fun at this gig as I did seeing them in November of last year.

I keep finding myself at the Horseshoe for these awfully sweaty shows. I sort of come prepared to get sweaty by wearing dresses made for the summer. It's not pleasant.

Here's what Zeus' set list shaped up to be, or something like it:

  1. Greater Times on the Wayside 
  2. River by the Garden
  3. Hot Under the Collar
  4. Marching Through Your Head
  5. How Does It Feel?
  6. Heavy On Me
  7. Love/Pain
  8. That's All (Genesis Cover)
  9. Are You Going To Waste My Time?
  10. Kindergarden
  11. The Renegade









No comments:

Post a Comment