Thursday, July 29, 2010

Andre Ethier

Andre Ethier has to be one of the most original artists to come from the Toronto music scene. I know that's saying a lot because artists like Timber Timbre and Ghost Bees are also equally 'different' and 'ground breaking'. But Ethier has a different kind of energy that is lost in older, more timeless sounding tunes.

I first found him on the soundtrack for the flop Canadian film 'Everything's Gone Green'. His tune "Little Saddy" was sort of the uplift of the entirely Canadian soundtrack I was more or less already familiar with.



I worked with the pianist in his band. He really gave me the push I needed to really dip into Ethier's catalog. He's released four albums since 2004 and that's in addition to the four albums he put out with the Deadly Snakes.



I've only had the opportunity to see him once. It was at the Steamboat record release party at Sneaky Dee's, where he played three or four songs. Of them he played one of my favourites - "Pride of Egypt"...

I missed the Blue Fog Revue gig he played at Lee's with a bunch of his pals of other Toronto bands. I love the 'Revue' gigs that are being held, there's something really refreshing about the collaborative effort.



For good measure, you should get your ears on "The Best We Ever Had":

No comments:

Post a Comment