Saturday, July 3, 2010

On Levon Helm's performance at Massey Hall; Tuesday June 29, 2010

Levon Helm is legendary. He's worked with Dylan as his back up band and made it on his own with the Band.

There's something really incredible about a drummer who can sing well, while playing the drums.

His most famous songs are "The Weight," "Up on Cripple Creek" and "Ophelia." He played "The Weight" and "Ophelia" at his gig last Tuesday.





I really loved how great he sounded for 70 years old! It's pretty incredible to think just how long the Band has been around for. The Last Waltz was created 32 years ago! Remarkable. Completely ageless.

Levon barely did any singing. He opened up the show with a complete song of his own and sang a verse here and there throughout his set. He had an incredible band to boot, including his daughter Amy Helm (check out her band Olabelle). He's got my sympathy points as just ten years ago he lost his voice to a whisper. He miraculously got it back six or seven years back. It's just such a shame he only sang one verse of "the Weight" at this show.

"The Weight" 2008:


"The Weight" 1978:


I hope I'm half as lively has him when I'm 70. It's moments like these I'm really sad that I wasn't alive forty years ago when the music scene was booming. Not to say that now it isn't, but there was something special about the sixties and seventies.

Opener John Hiatt sounded musically good. I really am not into his sound though, definitely a leave it relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment