Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Ohad Benchetrit's solo project 'Years'

I really like anything Ohad Benchetrit's beautiful guitar work grazes. There's something really special about everything he noodles on.

Years was a natural, easy progression for his work.

He, with a pile of other Do Make Say Think collaborators released the self-titled album last year. I had the luck of seeing him play it live at the Enwave theatre, down at the Harbourfront. There was a lot of looping and group effort help, but for the most part it was Benchetrit that took the spotlight.

In finishing up my final papers, I have nested well in the library with a pile of CDs to curb my Youtube interests. I brought Years' album after recently talking about it with a friend. Musically, it's brilliant. It paints the images that the song titles suggest, while upholding seriousness throughout the entire album. The only thing I think it really lacks is continuity. Continuity is something Do Make is incredibly good at - they link each song seamlessly. I don't have that same connected feel while sporting Years' album.

The songs are also a bunch shorter, the average being just shy of three minutes.

I still really like this album, it's musically all there. It just doesn't have that timeless feel that I get from Do Make Say Think albums. It will very likely get less rotation than albums that coreshake me.

"Do" by Do Make Say Think, and Ohad at his finest!:



"A Tender History in Rust" by Do Make Say Think, Ohad again:



"The Major Lift" by Years - Probably the most accessible tune on the album:



"Are You Unloved" by Years - LISTEN TO THIS SONG WITH HEADPHONES, stereo!

No comments:

Post a Comment