Saturday, July 17, 2010

Saves the Day

When faced with the question of who my favourite band really are, the band that entered my mind was Saves the Day.

In working at a record store, I've come to naturally categorise bands by genre. I feel pretty awful to associate 'Punk' Saves the Day as one of my favourite artists.

The first issue is - I'm not sure what genre i'd clunk them under. For sake of organisation in a record store, yes, I would probably put them under punk, by sheer association and accessibility. But really, what punk band would release an album like 'In Reverie'. 'In Reverie' in sound, is an album of the sixties (actually put out in 2003!!). I can't even believe it was seven years ago that I purchased 'In Reverie'.

The second issue is that Saves the Day were my gateway band. I think I found a tiny article in one of my teen girly magazines citing Saves the Day as a cool band to watch out for. From there I purchased Saves the Day's third full-length album 'Stay What You Are,' which is still today one of my favourite albums from start to finish. I have these really fond memories of buying random albums at Sunrise in Dixie Mall wiht my Dad. He would spend hours in the store while i'd just listen and sample records in the meantime. I sadly got a job there shortly after and spoiled my music sprees with my father.

There's nothing wrong with liking Saves the Day, in fact, I wrote this to glorify how amazing they really are. From their roots in pop-punk with the album 'Through Being Cool' to their more sophisticated pop songs on 'Stay What You Are' to their well crafted, thoughtful pop-rock songs on 'In Reverie'. Their catalogue sort of stops there for me. Saves the Day to me, disbanded in 2003 and have played tours since. Unfortunately, that's not the reality, in reality, Saves the Day has only one original member and have produced crap since.

I will never understand this band, ever!

"Shoulder to the Wheel" off of 'Through Being Cool'(1999)



"This is Not an Exit" off of 'Stay What You Are' (2001)



A total grower, the brilliant "Tomorrow Too Late" off of 'In Reverie' (2003)



Funny, they pretty steadily released albums from 1997 with 'Can't Slow Down,' the band members were only 17! It's sort of interesting to watch the progression of this band, I have no idea what spurred it. Seems they've begun to regress.

No comments:

Post a Comment