Saturday, July 24, 2010

The Kinks

I've never owned a Kinks full-length album, I've always sort of just took comfort in the hits. I really hate learning about a band from a compilation, it really cheapens the experience. A hand selected collection of tunes by what the masses dictated. Not my idea of getting familiar with a band.

Kinks full-length albums are pretty hard to find used and I can't seem to find one for less than fifteen bucks in stores. Here's to the search.

I have always liked the tune "Victoria." It's poppy and fun. However, anytime I found myself singing along to it I only knew one word - "Victoria". In looking up the lyrics today I found out it was a song written about QUEEN Victoria. Ah ha. Makes sense! Ray Davies delivers each word really differently, it's really hard to track what he's saying. The words are rather minimal, I rather like how he belts "Victoria" throughout the song. This is a feel good song, even if he is talking about how wonderful the Queen is - and all her colonial conquests.

No comments:

Post a Comment