Sunday, July 18, 2010

SONG-BY-SONG: 'With the Beatles' by the Beatles

I dare you to find a band better than the Beatles. I can't think of a colour they didn't sport.

I love those moments when you have a song hankering. I for some odd reason was struck with the tune "Hold Me Tight," for it's supreme innocence and sweetness.

This is definitely a Beatles summer for me. I'm going to see RAIN on Tuesday and at the beginning of August I'm seeing Paul McCartney. So this haze of Beatles is well needed.

I'm going to do a bit of a different song-by-song review of this album, a new feature to my blog.

1. "It Won't Be Long"
Fabulous album opener, full of excitement. There's something about the excited shout delivery right at the beginning with the echoing "yeahs". I thought the movie 'Across the Universe' used this song really well.

2. "All I've Got To Do"
Nice changes in tempo, they keep the listener on their toes. This is a very John song, it's edgy and super confident, without being overly cocky. This is one of the nine original compositions on the album, it however still has that Motown sound that the covers've got.

3. "All My Loving"
I first heard this song in the seventh grade. The girls were trying out for choir and this was one of the songs they were singing. I remember when I first heard my friend sing it alone, I thought it was a really slow song. There's something really amazing about the format of this song, it's very unconventional - it breaks into what I can only label as the chorus for it's repetition throughout the song. There's really nothing to this song, it's incredibly simple vocals and music wise. George's very beautiful guitar work wins me over - the country western-Esq guitar riffs.

4. "Don't Bother Me"
George's debut! George's voice has been double-tracked. Musically it's a bit of an odd ball which can only serve to foreshadow George's brilliance in the years following. It's a little bit of an odd shift lyrically as it's a bit more bitter than the tracks that start the album. Less love, more loss.

5. "Little Child"
I like the echoing harmonica bits. This is a song that astonishes me for its musicality. Paul's natural piano bits really flourish in this song - he had very little formal training. His father apparently always pushed him to take formal lessons but he preferred to play by ear. As much as this blog is critical of McCartney's piano bits, it still impresses me how musically inclined he is. I'm incredibly jealous.

6. "Till There Was You"
This is a very Paul McCartney song. I know I say that a lot, but this song to me is a trademarked McCartney song. He pens a good love song that would win any lady over. This song, although incredibly slow, was a popular play at the Cavern Club. Quite surprising for the songs slow tempo.

7. "Please Mister Postman"
I think this is my favourite cover off of the album. The song belongs to the girl group the Marvelettes. What I love about this song is that it strikes me more as a song written for a girl to perform, but the boys pull it off with ease and confidence. The clever swap from "boyfriend" to "girlfriend". This song gets me moving.

8. "Roll Over Beethoven"
Originally belonging to Chuck Berry, the Beatles' take is true. I like their version better, it's polished and very put together. At 1:11, it takes great shift that sets you up for the Berry guitar bit. This song begs to be danced to.

I saw She & Him about a month ago and they closed with this song. A surprising close, M. Ward took the reigns on this one. He also played it at his solo gig in support of 'Hold Time' in 2009. Very M. Ward for its audience shocking ornate guitar parts.



I love love love this section in the tune, it appears only once but the music, pace and feel of this part really reflects what the lyrics are illustrating.

"Well, if you feelin' like it
Go get your lover, then reel and rock it.
Roll it over and move on up just
A trifle further and reel and rock with it,
Roll it over,
Roll Over Beethoven, dig these rhythm and blues. "

9. "Hold Me Tight"
Hand clapping galore. This song is happy and optimistic. The Beatles were true smooth talkers. This is the tune that swayed me to listen to this album tonight.

10. "You Really Got A Hold On Me"
Probably my second favourite cover on this album. It wasn't this version that "got me" the most. It was She & Him's version, which I insist you hear.



I think when I first listened to 'Volume One' by She & Him, this was the song that sealed the deal. It's really delicate, unlike the Beatles' version. If you can tough it out to 2:45, you may share what I first felt when giving this song a listen.

The Beatles' version is brassier. It reflects the original by the Miracles a lot more than She & Him's take.

George Martin's playing the piano on this track.

11. "I Wanna Be Your Man"
This album is really a call for the lovestruck people out there, whether they've found it or not. I love the desperation of this song.

This is a very unconventional Ringo song. I am joining the band wagon here in my dislike for Ringo Starr, or Richard Starkey. His later songs tend to have a simplicity that this song has. It's very evident that Ringo did not write this song.

12. "Devil in Her Heart"
A real hidden gem the original was actually labeled "Devil in His Heart," yet another gender swap. This song was originally recorded by the Donays, a must hear:



I love the skepticism of this song.

This song was really well put together by the Beatles. It has, like many of the other covers, a more polished sound to it. George is singing this one.

13. "Not A Second Time"
This is probably my least favourite song off of the album.

14. "Money"
George Martin's piano masterpiece closer. I can't get over how genius the piano part is, it really picks up vigour nearing the end of the song too.

In the liner notes, McCartney describes this song as 'a real big screamer' for the audience at the Cavern Club. I recently heard it at Goin' Steady, a 50s/60s dance party, and it held that excited quality that it possessed over forty five years ago.

It's also a serious screamer for John's trademark voice spoiling effort.

I never give this song enough credit. It is the perfect album closer.

I always like to think of things in perspective to where I am in my life. When the boys released this album they were my age. What the hell am I doing with my life?

2 comments:

  1. indeed, looking forward to it. dress to the nines sash. George will be in attendance, I must look my best!

    ReplyDelete