Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Black Fever at the Tranzac; Saturday May 15, 2010

The Black Fever are a Toronto band that are heavily influenced by Brit pop and the nineties. The set at the Tranzac tonight was an acoustic gig, stripped down to guitar, bass and the occasional tambourine. As soon as they played the first song, I realised that this band is an electric band. I felt that everything that was done tonight would have carried much better if they had their edge. Lead singer and gutiarist, Sumon Mukherjee's vocals I felt got better with every song. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for his guitar, for a good chunk of the set he was fighting a battle with the connection between his guitar and the amplifier. I really admire his resilience throughout and his determined struggle. Cutting their set short, he played the last thirty seconds of the song completely unplugged, a great move. In doing this he made me appreciate his music, playing and effort, I wish he did that from the start. I was really surprised by how well I could hear his unplugged guitar from the back of the room, amongst all the crowd chit-chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment