Sunday, May 2, 2010

Sia at the Phoenix; Wednesday April 28, 2010.

The last time I saw Sia it was at the Opera House, which is one of my favourite venues to see a concert... The venue allows you to move up to the front without being smooshed or too sweaty. I remember leaving that show in a better mood than when I had entered it. I suppose I had no expectations, thus it enabled my impression to soar.

This go 'round I wasn't overly excited because I truly disliked her new material, especially the overly catty tune "Clap Your Hands". I was a little crushed to find she lost her edge to the mainstream feel that her good pal Christina Aguilera has mastered. There were two things that really pushed me to go to this show, despite my strong feelings against going. First - Sia was the closest thing I have ever gotten to seeing Zero 7 in their prime with the album Simple Things. I was incredbly let down earlier this year with Zero 7's live show. Secondly - an interview with Sia I had heard on NPR a few days before the gig. She oozes sincerity and heart with her naivety and compassion towards people.

Of those two very dear expectations to me - she let me down on the first one only. Much to my chagrin, Sia neglected the Zero 7 material she had sung in the past. She however was full of humility that made up for skipping out on my favourite tunes. She took the time to individually talk to her fans when necessary... and sometimes when not. Regardless, she let everyone chime in and it was a very collective experience. As lame as that sounds Sia's consideration for the audience's experience was big.

Her back drop was the big tipper - an oversized quilt wiht Sia written on it out of balls of yarn. She apparently had let audience members jump on stage if they knew how to knit... (to knit something for her). She didn't seem to do that this show but she was still engaging the audience.

The last show it was evident that she hated the idea of an encore. She even splashed back on stage claiming that the audience didn't need to clap for her return as it was all fake anyways. At this time she was wearing large wings that served as a bubble wand.

Sia is a great singer, but she is as much a singer as she is a performer and that speaks at great lengths about her.

No comments:

Post a Comment