Sunday, May 9, 2010

Broken Social Scene at Criminal Records; Sunday May 10, 2010

Broken Social Scene are the heart of the Toronto music scene. Kevin Drew and company has made a wonderful collective that has served to launch many careers of otherwise forgotten musicians. What is so incredible about this band is they always seem to find their way back into the hearts and pockets of people. As much as I like Broken, I look at them as a business. They are a band that have mastered the industry, understanding timing and effort. It's interesting to really observe how the band has developed over the years. They began more like a pick me up game - where they literally included anyone they can get. In doing this they adopted the title of the "collective" or the large band. It also served to launch countless careers. Following this, they put out the epic self-titled album filled with hooks and anthems. This album served to expand their music to different artists like K-OS who guest appeared on this album. It was bold, but not too adventurous.

A few days ago I wrote my preliminary thoughts of the album. I felt pretty empty as a far epic highs and anthem songs went. The only song that really core shook me was "World Sick" which brought my climax to a very quick end as the song is their first single and the first track on the album.

I was anticipating that the show on Sunday would be solely pushing their new album. In truth, I wasn't that far off... They however opened and closed the show with two gems from You Forgot It in People. They opened up their set with "Lover's Spit," I was completely elated. Although there were no women there, the boys had this one under control. Kevin Drew held most of the vocals for their five or six song set, with the exception of the set closer "Looks Just Like the Sun." Between these two classic tunes, they played all new songs of their latest release Forgiveness Rock Record. Including, "Texico Bitches," "Forced to Love" and "Ungrateful Little Father" (very appropriately on Mother's Day).

I have to admit, I liked the way the songs sounded live. They sounded very stripped, with little production - as the album really glistens.

There's also something absolutely alluring about seeing Andrew Whiteman live. He has a presence like no one I've ever come across. He does it so effortlessly, with the exception before he started playing "Looks Just Like the Sun," he asked what the lyrics were to the second verse. Naturally, no one knew, including myself, because although I can sing along to ever word of that song, I don't believe I actually know what the words actually are.

I have no idea what the other shows that day were like, but Kevin Drew claimed that the Rotate This gig, which I believe was to be held in a back alley was going to be all b-sides tunes. This teaser gig has made me insanely excited for the island gig. To see Zeus, Band of Horses, Beach House, Broken Social Scene and Pavement all in one day, really makes me excited, absolutely unreal, tailor made just for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment