Thursday, May 6, 2010

Coeur de pirate at the Gladstone; Thursday May 6, 2010

Coeur de pirate is the title and image that Beatrice Martin hides behind. It boggles my mind to think that this young pup has made it so big. However after seeing her live I can definitely understand why her album is a hot item in Paris, France. It is more unbelievable that she's done all this by twenty.

She casually hopped on stage around half past seven and introduced herself as Beatrice and Coeur de pirate, the name she plays her songs under. She was wearing a beautiful purple dress with white sneakers and two arms full of tattoos. She immediately began playing Rich Terfry's favourite tune "Le long du large" and the only song I knew before going into her show.

She baffled me most with her beautiful cover of Air's "Playground Love". She described the band as a group that she used to like but no longer does. She described the song as one that use to be great and was from an amazing film the Virgin Sucides. My heart stopped a bit when she was describing it because I really love that song and I really love the movie. I knew immediately what she was talking about from the get go. I assume that she hated how huge the movie became, or she perhaps simply loved Air strictly on the Virgin Suicides soundtrack. She very childlishly shrugged air off upon launching into the tune. I though her rendition of the song was inspired, yet true to the original. It was also the only song she sang in English.

In the past I heard Damien Rice's ex-leading lady singer Lisa Hannigan perform this song. I however felt that Martin's version captured that longing and desire that the song really emphasises. A while back I also found a Phoenix cover of this song too.

I can't say that I love Coeur de pirate, but I think she's got a lot going for her. Her voice is quirky and different without going over the top. She makes nice light pop songs and can core shake as well. I thought she would've made a nice contribution to the soundtrack to the film An Education.

No comments:

Post a Comment