Monday, May 31, 2010

The Zombies

The Zombies sound like every other sixties rock band with their clean cut image and sweet, harmless tunes.

They've somehow however managed to distinguish themselves from the other brit-pop bands of that time. On the surface, it was probably in large part because of their breakthrough hit "Time of the Season." Of which you might recognise from countless commercials suggesting love or lust. Even though it's well overplayed, I still find myself listening to this song. There's something really seductive about it.

Beyond just their smash hit, The Zombies stick out to me personally because of their brilliant album the 'The Odessey and the Oracle.' This album is the epitomy of the sixties, it has Rod Argent's impressive keyboard work and Colin Blunstone's pretty, pretty vocals.

I don't think there is one song on the entire album that I don't like. The style of song on the album is so fit for its time but it has something that is so advanced about it. It's like the macbook of the sixties, hip and ageless. For instance, a few years back I played my Dad "Saint Simon" by the Shins and he immediately said they're ripping of the Zombies' sound. I definitely felt the correlations.

My favourite track of 'The Odessey and the Oracle' is the beautiful "Care of Cell 44". It plays as a letter and is incredibly repetitive but it's so harmless I can't help but love it. I found an Elliott Smith cover of this song, and amazingly it's of high quality!

Another brilliant track is the tune - "This Will Be Our Year." I read in an interview somewhere that Zooey Deschanel-Gibbard (ha!) wanted to play that song at her funeral. I thought it was kind of an odd choice, but I have to give it to her that is quite the mood lifting tune to have. The lyrics are completely perfect in that song. Deschanel thinks funeral and I think i'd play it at my wedding!

I've noticed 'The Odessey and the Oracle' has been getting a lot of attention from friends of mine for its artwork. It's funny because I've had the album for quite sometime and the artwork always struck me as weird, nothing remotely impressive. To be quite honest, keeping their admirations in mind, it just seems like a big colour swoosh to me.

1 comment:

  1. The album art IS a big colour swoosh! I like the art for one of the same reasons that you enjoy the entire album: its the epitome of the 60s.

    The flatness is a pop-art calling card. The psychedelic colours and patterns are pretty good decade indicators. I personally enjoy deciphering painting from collage in work like this.

    There's a ton going on here and for me this is an ode to an aesthetic i'll never tire of.

    ReplyDelete